Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The Kids Are All Right

Nic (Annette Benning) and Jules (Julianne Moore) wanted to start a family and sought out a sperm donor to make their dream a reality. Eighteen years later their two children (Mia Wasikowska and Josh Hutcherson) seek out their sperm donor (Mark Ruffalo) and chaos ensues.

Don't be put off because this movie is about a lesbian couple. I know that a lot of people will never watch this movie because of the content but don't let that happen to you. It's a really sweet film. And it deals with topics much larger than just the struggles of being in a homosexual relationship. Topics that anyone could relate to--kids going off to college, appreciation in a marriage, infidelity.

I was extremely impressed by the young talent in this film. Wasikowska, known mostly for her role in the block buster Alice in Wonderland, was utterly delightful in this role. After such a huge successful debut, it is impressive to see her picking roles with more depth. Hutcherson was also a joy to watch. He is very talented and if he continues to pick roles like these, there is no question that he will effortlessly make the transition from child star to well respected actor.

The ending was my favorite part. I won't give anything away, I promise. But it was...perfect. The middle section of the film lost me a bit because I wasn't quite sure where it was going. But the last scene is my favorite. Hutcherson's last line is perfection. This film, while it deals with dramatic topics, manages to look at it in a slightly humorous way. I understand why this film was nominated for Best Picture at the Academy Awards.

But I must say that I was a little taken back by how much sex there was in this movie. And all sorts too. There was no discrimination in this film. More than anything, this is a story about love and marriage. It just happens to be told through a lesbian couple, their children, and their sperm donor. Life isn't perfect but that doesn't mean it can't be magical.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...