Tuesday, January 1, 2013

AFI's 100 Years...100 Movies Challenge

I am a self-proclaimed American and Foreign Film Enthusiast (Yes. I even put that on my college application because...well, it's true). I think that is pretty obvious because I have an entire blog dedicated to film and book reviews. But as much as I love movies, I feel that I don't appreciate the great classics of the past as much as I should. This is due, in large part, because I haven't seen many of them.

I want to sound educated when I talk about film--drawing comparisons to other works of great cinematography and acting. But watching old movies can be a bit intimidating. Not every old movie is a great--or even good--movie. Where to start? That was the question I asked myself. There are so many old movies out there and it quickly becomes hard to pick a starting point. So rather than just shoot an arrow into the dark, I decided to take the advice from others. I thought about using the Academy Awards as a spring board but quickly decided against it. The Academy Awards tend to be a biased towards films that deal with dramatic and dark subject manner. A comedy can be a great movie--one of the best--but it doesn't receive the same attention as an equally good drama. In this upcoming year, I wanted to watch a wide variety of films.

That is why I chose the AFI's 100 Years...100 Movies list (the original 1998 edition) as my own personal tour-guide through good film making of the last 100 or so years. And then I figured that if I wanted more, I could always continue on with the 100 Thrills or 100 Laughs list. I'm excited about this challenge. It's part of my New Year's Resolution. I will watch each film and then write a review on this blog by December 31 of 2013. Here is a link to the list--just in case you were curious. Wish me luck!

P.S. I sort of cheated a bit because I watched and posted a review for Guess Who's Coming to Dinner because it was required viewing for my history class. I hope you will not hold this against me. At the end of the challenge I plan to make my own list and re-rank all the films in the order according to which films I most enjoyed them. If you want to join me on this challenge write a comment below letting me know and include your blog (or vlog) link as well! My first "official" review will be up within the week.

1 comment:

  1. watch pinoy tv show replays here CLICK HERE

    or download our android application here Philipine TV Replays android app

    or download our apple application here Philipine TV Replays ios app

    HOW TO INSTALL PHILIPPINES TV ON IPHONE AND IPOD TOUCH? CLICK HERE

    or visit Android and Apple APPS

    LIKE US : Facebook

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...